An Oklahoma City motorcyclist was killed while trying to exit on Broadway Extension toward Interstate 44. According to police, the victim was momentarily distracted when their motorcycle jumped a curb and rolled over several times before stopping, after which he was pronounced dead at the scene. Rider error is one of the most common causes of fatal motorcycle accidents, and many lives can be saved by following proper motorcycle safety protocols.
Motorcycle safety tips
Common motorcycle safety tips include:
- Taking a motorcycle safety course: Many accidents are caused by riders who are improperly trained.
- Wearing protective clothing: Proper clothing includes jeans or leather pants, a padded jacket, boots and protective eyewear.
- Helmet use: Riders should use a helmet that is DOT certified, secure and properly fitted and that covers their entire head — and they should never reuse a helmet after an accident.
- Watching speeds around turns and curves: Driving at high speeds around turns is extremely dangerous.
- Not riding distracted: Riders should never play with their GPS, use their cellphone or text while riding.
- Paying attention to road safety conditions: Motorcycles are much less stable than cars and are much more prone to loss of control in adverse weather conditions.
- Not riding in a driver’s blind spot: Riders should never ride alongside a car or truck.
- Never riding while under the influence of drugs or alcohol: Riders should never ride after drinking or taking prescription medication that can impair reaction times, even if they are not technically in violation of Oklahoma’s impaired driving laws
Why motorcycle safety is important — a legal perspective
If you are injured in a motorcycle accident, you are likely to face questions from insurance companies that seek to show that you are at fault for your injuries. Riders who practice safe riding habits are less likely to be found at fault.
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident, you need to have an experienced and aggressive Oklahoma City motorcycle injury lawyer in your corner. The lawyers at Cunningham & Mears, PC are dedicated to helping injured Oklahomans build a solid case for damages and defend themselves against insurance companies.
Related Motorcycle Accident Articles
Ryan Y. Cunningham is a founding partner of Cunningham & Mears. Mr. Cunningham devotes his practice to protecting the rights of injured Oklahoma residents. In addition to assisting injured clients, Mr. Cunningham endeavors to improve personal injury representation by speaking on issues related to personal injury law to attorneys in continuing legal education courses and to law students. Learn More