Piedmont Truck Accident Lawyers, OK
Experienced injury attorneys handling claims involving truck wrecks in Oklahoma
Truck accident cases involve unique challenges. There are special rules that regulate how trucks should be loaded, and how to drive trucks. Many truck accidents such as jackknives, cargo spills, and wide-turn accidents are unique to trucks. The defendants often include trucking companies in addition to the truck driver. When trucks crash into a car, the car absorbs most of the force which, in turn, means the occupants of the car suffer very serious injuries.
At Cunningham & Mears, our Piedmont truck lawyers are seasoned trial lawyers. We understand the trucking industry. We understand everyone involved in the shipment, and why each of those companies may be liable. Our lawyers handle the catastrophic and permanent injuries that truck accidents often cause. We work with your doctors and our network of doctors to fully understand what your injuries are, what medical care you’ll need, why you’re in so much pain, and every way your injuries are making your life difficult.
In one illustrative truck accident case, our lawyers obtained $1.165(?too many digits?) million for a grandmother when a tractor-trailer turned in front of her. The grandmother who was taking her granddaughter to the dentist suffered a broken pelvis and broken legs.
Call us today to assert your right to compensation after a truck accident happens in Piedmont.
How can we help?
- What types of truck accident cases do you handle?
- How dangerous are truck accidents?
- What types of truck-related injury claims do you handle?
- What causes a truck accident in Piedmont?
- Are there laws that regulate trucks in Oklahoma?
- Who are the defendants in Piedmont truck accident cases?
- What factors affect the value of my Piedmont truck accident case?
- Do you have a truck accident lawyer near me?
What types of truck accident cases do you handle?
Every type of truck is dangerous. Trucks have blind spots that cars don’t have. The main purpose of trucks is to deliver cargo that may shift and spill. Commercial truck drivers must have a commercial driver’s license. Our Piedmont injury lawyers represent folks who have been injured in collisions with:
| || |
We have the experience, skills, and resources to handle all kinds of truck accidents, including these common types of crashes:
- Jackknives. These treacherous accidents occur when the tractor and trailer don’t follow each other. The tractor and trailer end up at right angles to each other. We hold drivers and truck companies accountable when jackknife accidents cause havoc on the roads.
- Rollovers. Speeding, driving through curves, the center of gravity of the truck, and other factors can cause a truck to flip over injuring or killing the driver, spilling cargo, and colliding with vehicles near the truck.
- Blind spot accidents. The dimensions of a truck make it difficult for drivers to see around the side, rear, and even the front of the truck. Drivers need to be extra cautious, especially when they turn or shift lanes. The latest blind-spot technology may help.
- Underride accidents. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is considering rules that require larger trucks and trailers to have rear guards so smaller cars can’t slide under the trucks/trailers crushing the occupants of the cars. Our Piedmont truck accident lawyers understand the rules and the industry standards that govern liability for underride accidents.
- Wide-turn accidents. The larger the truck, the more room it needs to turn. Wide-turn accidents are known to crush any cars or motorcycles that are too near the truck, especially vehicles to the right of the truck.
- Shifting cargo and cargo that spills. At Cunningham & Mears, we understand the laws and safety standards that govern the weight of cargo, and how the cargo should be secured. Often, when cargo shifts causing the driver to lose control or spills onto the highway, the trucking companies responsible for loading the cargo are responsible for any injuries or fatalities that occur.
Our Piedmont truck accident lawyers also represent victims of head-on crashes, rear-end collisions, broadsides, sideswipes, single-vehicle, multiple-vehicle, and other types of truck accidents.
How dangerous are truck accidents?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2020, 831 people died and nearly 45,000 people were injured in large truck accidents. More than 10,000 people died and nearly 950,000 people were injured in light truck (SUVs, pickups, and vans) accidents.
Trucks are involved in more serious and deadly accidents compared to passenger cars because of their large size, weight, and dimensions. Shifting cargo and trucks that are overloaded are harder to control. Trucks make wider turns. Trucks need more distance and time to stop.
When truck accidents do happen, the consequences are often fatal or catastrophic.
What types of truck-related injury claims do you handle?
At Cunningham & Mears, we are skilled at working with your doctors, therapists, and other healthcare providers. We also have our network of doctors who help ensure you are seeing the doctors who can help you and can explain the unique complications and limitations of each type of injury.
Our Piedmont car accident lawyers handle all serious injuries including:
- Head injuries including traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries including paralysis
- Third-degree burn injuries
- Traumatic amputation/loss of limb
- Neve, muscle, tissue, and ligament damage
- Broken ribs, internal bleeding, organ damage, and crush injuries
- Vision and hearing loss
- Neck, shoulder, and back pain
- Scarring and disfigurement
- PTSD and other psychological injuries
- Other severe injuries
At Cunningham & Mears, our trial lawyers also represent family members when a Piedmont truck accident takes the life of a loved one.
What causes a truck accident in Piedmont?
Most truck accidents are due to a combination of driver negligence and the negligence of one or more trucking companies. Our lawyers work with investigators, use the formal discovery process to question everyone involved, speak with the police, and collect other evidence to show how your truck accident happened, and why the defendants should be held liable.
Some of the common causes of trucking accidents by truck drivers are:
- Driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs
- Driving while tired
- Driving too fast for traffic conditions or weather conditions
- Driving while distracted by smartphones, computing devices, GPS devices, food, and drinks
- Not checking the blind spots
- Backing out into traffic without a spotter
- Other types of driver negligence
Trucking companies are generally liable for the negligence of their employees. Trucking companies may also be liable if they:
- Fail to run background checks on their drivers
- Fail to educate their drivers
- Fail to inspect and repair their trucks
- Push drivers to speed
- Overload the truck or improperly secure the cargo
- Other types of trucking company negligence
In addition to these defendants, manufacturers may be liable for defective hydraulic systems, brakes, electrical components, and other defective truck parts. The state of Oklahoma or state agencies may be liable for negligent road design and negligent road maintenance.
Are there laws that regulate trucks in Oklahoma?
There are federal and state laws that regulate commercial trucks in Oklahoma. There are also industry standards that should be followed. Two of the agencies that regulate truck driving and truck loads are:
- The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). This agency regulates the hours of service of truck drivers.
- The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has rules for how cargo should be loaded.
Our Piedmont truck accident lawyers also understand and use other regulations that govern truck driving and truck safety including commercial driver’s license requirements, the legal weight and dimensions of the truck, keeping electronic logs, truck inspections, and other safety concerns.
Who are the defendants in Piedmont truck accident cases?
Many defendants may be liable for your injuries or the death of a loved one. While additional defendants make truck accident cases more complex, additional defendants usually mean additional insurance policies are available to pay your damage claim.
Possible defendants in truck accident cases include:
- The driver of the truck
- The employer of the truck driver
- The trucking companies involved in the shipment – the company shipping the goods, the company receiving the goods, and the company that arranges the shipment
- Maintenance and repair companies
- The manufacturers of defective truck parts
- Other defendants
What factors affect the value of my Piedmont truck accident case?
At Cunningham & Mears, our lawyers are skilled at paying attention to all the small details that often add up to large damage awards. We understand the different types of damages you can claim and the evidence needed to maximize each type of damage.
We demand compensation for all your damages as of the date of our formal demand and all your future damages. Your damages include your current and future:
- Medical bills
- Income losses
- Physical pain and emotional suffering
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of bodily function
- Loss of the quality of life you had before the accident
- Property damage
- Loss of consortium
In cases of unconscionable wrongs, we seek punitive damage claims.
Our Piedmont truck accident lawyers also file wrongful death actions on behalf of the family members of anyone killed in a truck crash.
Do you have a Piedmont truck accident lawyer near me?
Cunningham & Mears advises Piedmont truck accident victims at our two Oklahoma City offices. Our first office is located at 5104 N Francis Ave., Suite 102, Oklahoma City, near Penn Square Mall. There are places to park nearby. Our second office is located at 9428 Westgate, Suite 102B, in the Brookhaven West part of Oklahoma City. We’re just a short distance from Resurrection Cemetery and off the Northwest Expressway.
We meet clients who are too sick or ill to come to our office. We also conduct video conferences by appointment.
Our Piedmont car accident lawyers fight aggressively for all the compensation you deserve.
Contact our experienced Piedmont truck accident attorneys now
Truck accidents are complicated. You need lawyers who understand the trucking industry. You need lawyers who are skilled at handling cases where there are multiple defendants. You need lawyers who have the experience and resources to handle catastrophic, permanent, and severe injuries. At Cunningham & Mears, our Piedmont truck accident lawyers are ready to handle the unique challenges involved with truck accident claims. We’ve helped many truck accident victims obtain the just compensation they deserve.
To assert your rights, please complete our contact form or call us today for a free initial consultation. We don’t receive compensation unless your case settles, or there is a verdict in your favor.