A quick glimpse in the back seat, a traffic light that cannot be beat or a tire that malfunctions at precisely the wrong time — it only takes a moment for a serious or even deadly accident to occur. As personal injury attorneys in Oklahoma City, we understand the difference one moment can make to the lives of our clients and their families.
According to the Oklahoma Highway Safety Office, total traffic crashes decreased from 2010 to 2011. Unfortunately, however, fatalities increased by four percent in 2011, taking the lives of almost 700 people.
After a serious injury or wrongful death, Oklahoma City injury lawyers investigate crash sites for evidence that relates to the cause of the accident and the negligence of the parties involved. State traffic data collected for 2011 gives a larger view of conditions under which accidents occur in our state, including the following facts:
- Over 70 percent of accidents occurred in daylight.
- Seven percent of crashes were alcohol-related, and 65 percent of alcohol-related accidents occurred during clear weather.
- Failure to yield was the reported cause of 18 percent of accidents.
- Almost 60 percent of all fatal accidents involved one vehicle, and occurred in good weather.
- Unsafe speed was cited in 13 percent of accidents.
- During the week, more accidents occurred on Fridays and, during the year, more occurred in October.
Speed, impaired driving, and lack of attention to the rules of the road — all contribute to the single moment it takes to send you, or another driver, to the hospital.
If the negligence of another party hurt you or a loved one, contact us at Cunningham & Mears. We know how accidents happen — and how to pursue compensation for your injury. Call us today.