Filing a Car Accident Injury Claim as an Injured Passenger
The law provides a legal remedy if you have been the victim in a crash caused by another driver. Those same protections exist for passengers, too, including when the driver of the passenger’s vehicle is the one who caused the crash.
Although the number of car accident injuries and deaths in Oklahoma dropped from 2018 to 2019, about 640 people still did not make it home to their families after a crash in the previous year. When you are injured as a passenger it is important to know what is involved in the determination of liability for the crash.
Possible liable parties
Purchasing liability insurance is incumbent on all drivers in Oklahoma City and throughout the state. If you file a claim as a passenger, some of the parties that may be liable for your injuries include:
- The driver of the vehicle in which you were a passenger:If the driver in the same vehicle as you caused the crash through his or her negligence, the driver may be held responsible. Although you may feel less inclined to file a claim against the driver, especially if it is someone you know, you should also remember that the driver’s insurance company pays out the claim.
- Another driver: As an injured passenger, you may file a claim with another driver’s insurance company, if that driver is liable for your injuries.
- Third party: If another party besides the drivers mentioned above is liable, you may file a third-party claim against that individual or entity, such as a municipality that poorly maintain a roadway or a vehicle manufacturer that made a faulty part, leading to your injury.
- Your own insurer: If the at-fault party is unable to pay for all of your damages, as an injured passenger you may need to file a claim with your own insurer to cover the rest.
If a negligent or reckless driver cause you injuries as a passenger, our experienced Oklahoma City car accident attorneys at Cunningham & Mears are here to help. We know how these cases work and the challenges that are posed by other liable parties and insurers. Our team knows how to fight effectively for the compensation you deserve. To get started with a free consultation, give us a call today at 405.232.1212 or fill out our contact form and send us a message.
- What Happens if I’m Hurt in a Crash That’s Partially My Fault?
- What to Do After a Car Accident in Oklahoma
- What Can a Car Accident Attorney Do for My Case?
Ryan Y. Cunningham is a founding partner of Cunningham & Mears. Mr. Cunningham devotes his practice to protecting the rights of injured Oklahoma residents. In addition to assisting injured clients, Mr. Cunningham endeavors to improve personal injury representation by speaking on issues related to personal injury law to attorneys in continuing legal education courses and to law students. Learn More